11 ways to keep mentally and physically well at work
Having your own business is a dream for many. but the reality of it doesn’t always live up to expectations! Working for yourself can be lonely, isolating, stressful and sometimes, downright unhealthy. It’s so easy to get stuck in a daily grind of to-do lists and milestones, that we forget to take care of the single biggest asset in our business: Ourselves.
Here are 11 simple things to do to make sure we all stay sane, healthy and happy doing the work we love:
- Drink enough water – keeping hydrated is often overlooked as a self-care tactic. But caffeinated and fizzy drinks wreak havoc with our body chemistry. Counteract it with at least 2 liters of water to wash out toxins, hydrate tissues and work on a celluar level to keep well.
- Don’t forget to breathe! Obviously? Not so! We tend to hold our breath in stressful situations, and most of us employ chest breathing in repsonse to fight/flight triggers. Drawing the breath down into the diaphragm (Where it’s meant to be!) helps us to feel calmer and more in control.
- Sitting is the new smoking. To avoid muscular distress, backpain and several other nasty conditions, it is important to keep moving. Plan at least a 10-minute walk into every day to use all the muscles, not just the brain and mouse-hand.
- Alternate screen time with stretching to avoid neck, shoudler and back problems. Strertches and twists takaing the upper body in opposite directions to slumped screen postures also improves breathing. This will also help your brain to return to it’s normal funcitoning patterns.
- Get enough sleep. When worry comes, sleep goes. And when sleep goes, everything else breaks down. We need at least 6,5 hours per night to function optimally.
- Reduce sugar. Too much of anything is bad, and sugar is highly addictive. It creates an acid environment in the body, leading to digestive issues, obesity, mood swings and energy lows. To keep on top of your game, cut out the white stuff!
- Use your body more. Get moving! Our bodies are amazing tools so make your’s work for you. Moving the body releases endorphins to make us feel more positive, burns up extra calories, detoxifies, plus so much more.
- Give yourself permission to stop, sometimes. Get off the hamster wheel from time to time. Rest, relax, destress, decompress. It’s ok to take time out so your time in can be more effective.
- Keep social. Go business networking, join a social group, get like-minded people around you. Community and social interaction is super-important for mental wellbeing. If you tend to draw into your own micro-business cave, it’s important to come out and interact often.
- Meditate for a few minutes daily. It’s a great means to make space, practice relaxation and learn to managr our own faculties. It empowers us to do more with what we have, and to manage the emotions that cause stress, anxiety and depression.
- Start a regular yoga practice. This changed my life, in my own micro-business. The physical postures of yoga is just one of an entire 8-limbed philosophy aimed at bringing us closer to our true, healthy selves.
I love speaking to people about mental and physical wellbeing in the workplace. Whether large or small, there are loads of things we can do to make the time we spend at work not only financially rewarding, but full or enjoyment and focus without being destructive. Please get in touch formroe information!
With much love and namaste
Cathy Richardson (Yoga therapist and Master Coach)